Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Central (from Arlington)

I write this upon just returning home from a failed bike trip into DC. My mom really want to go to the festivities but we eventually decided (lots of "I'm going... no, I'm not going... I'm going...") that it wasn't a smart idea given the incredible number of closures and walking/standing that would be required. Around 9:00 this morning, we turned on the TV and saw all of the excitement on the Mall and decided (once again) "okay, we're all going!" About 10 minutes later, my sense of reason kicked in and I said that I would stay home as it would probably border on child abuse -- or at least be very irresponsible -- to take a 5-month old with all of the crowds and the cold weather. The news has been reporting that it will likely take HOURS just to get onto a platform for a metro station after the events. The majority of the most centrally-located metro stations (central to the Mall) are closed for security purposes so we'd have quite a trek just to get to a station... and then we'd have to wait hours to board a train home. On top of this, no strollers are allowed. Ultimately, we decided that my mom would stay here with Jack and that Mick & I would cycle downtown.

Well, I made it about three miles and then had to turn back. I am in no shape to be doing a 15-mile round trip bike ride (uphill on the way home) when I haven't been on a bike since getting pregnant last year and need to be in much better shape to attempt something like this. It's a bit of a bummer as I'd love to see this with Mick (by "see" I mean just be in the middle of the millions of people on the Mall; I doubt I'd even get a glimpse of a jumbo-tron). But, it's also special to be here with my mom & with Jack: three generations of us witnessing one of the most positive historical events of our lifetimes!

I've sent Mick with the regular camera and a video camera and my cell phone (though I doubt there will be coverage). He'll post more later with news of how his part of the day went. Until then, we'll be watching from the warmth of our living room -- and will celebrate tonight with some New York Strip steaks and champagne.

No comments: