Friday, March 11, 2011

We Survived!

I feared Wednesday this week. In a big way.

Mick's mom left to go back to England on Tuesday and Mick left around 7:00 am on Wednesday for a business trip to Chicago. I was on my own for the first time with two kids. And I was scared.

But summoning advice from friends -- including listening to Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" and thinking of Béla Károlyi's "You can do eeeeet!" -- I embraced Wednesday with a positive attitude (and a healthy dose of fear).

Somehow, the stars aligned, as we actually had a really good day. I was able to shower and get myself and the kids dressed and out of the house by 10:10 - just ten minutes later than I wanted. Both of them were fed; I can't remember if I had breakfast but I'm sure I had a cup of coffee. Here's Kate hanging out in her swing while Jack had breakfast and then all dressed and ready to go:


I took Jack to Jungle Java, an indoor playground space just a few miles from here. We'd never been there before but I've wanted to give it a try as Jack has SO much energy and loves to climb and run and jump. He looked a bit overwhelmed when we walked in so I had to give him a little pep talk to remind him that I wouldn't be able to climb through with him as I was going to have to sit with Kate. I had no idea if it would be worth the admission fee, but Jack was off and running and climbing as soon as I got his shoes off. The picture below shows how much fun he had.

I decided to be a nice mom and buy Jack a slightly overpriced lunch from Jungle Java and then we headed home for a nap. I was certain he'd take a fantastic nap. Bad news is that he only slept an hour and a half (normal nap for him is 2.5 hours). Good news is that he woke up in a really good mood. Kate was up the whole time Jack slept so that meant I got no nap. Sad. I was a bit nervous when I looked at the clock when Jack woke to see it was only 3:00; how in the world would I make it another 4.5 hours until bedtime???

The answer: Meijer... both to see the lobsters and to get some things for dinner. We left the house a bit before 4:00 and I braced myself for what could easily have been a horrendous trip to the store with two kids. I think Jack was about 5 weeks old before I ventured out to the grocery store with him for the first time. Again, Jack was excellent and Kate slept the entire time!

The only problem was that I forgot about the logistics of fitting groceries in the cart when I had a car seat in the big part and Jack in the front seat part. Luckily, Jack was okay holding a few items while I piled the rest on and around Kate's seat.

As we were ready to leave the store, I realized I had nothing for Jack for dinner. So, I did what any tired mom does: I suggested some fast-cooking, easy, unhealthy (yes, I admit it!) food. First I suggested his favorite: pasta. He said no. Then I pulled out the big guns and suggested a deli pizza. No again. "Well Jack, what do you want then?" Um, he wanted a rotisserie chicken. Seriously. Were there any though? Nope. So I asked how long it would take for more to be ready. Seven minutes. UGH! I just wanted to get out of there. But we waited because I wanted Jack to eat a good meal. And did he ever! Four helpings of chicken... so I guess I can't complain that he turned down pasta and pizza. Here's Jack enjoying the horsey ride at the end of our Meijer trip. It costs a penny so I can't turn it down!

Presumably not every day will go so well but it was nice that our first go at it turned out so nicely so at least I know it's possible!

No comments: