Monday, November 17, 2008

The Same Old...

I just realized I hadn't posted in a while so thought I'd just provide a quick update while Jack naps.

The last few weeks have been relatively uneventful, though we are doing various activities to prepare us for the holidays. Last weekend we went and applied for Jack's passport which he'll need for our flight to England at Christmas. The passport arrived today, suggesting that the State Department has ironed out the kinks in the passport application process which plagued them a few years ago. Mick is in the process of filling out paperwork to register Jack as a British citizen; this means Jack will have dual citizenship. We have begun our holiday shopping (have had 2 weekends of it now) and are almost done with our list, which is a relief!

Jack is doing well, growing (as usual) like a weed, as is evident from these pictures. He is sleeping very well at night - usually a good 10+ hour stretch once he falls asleep around 11 pm. We'd still like his bedtime to be a bit earlier, but we realize how incredibly fortunate we are that he's been sleeping such long stretches since he was about a month old. We think he's started teething so that's throwing a bit of a curve to us but we are managing. The biggest challenge for me has been to find teething products that are not made of plastic with BPA and/or are not made in China. I just don't trust the plastic & painted products from China, particularly for something that is supposed to be in his mouth. I have found a few options, including Sophie la Giraffe who is handmade in the French Alps; her price certainly reflects this.

We changed our plans for Thanksgiving as Mick now has travel to Australia for work right after Thanksgiving. We were going to fly to Michigan for the holiday but now are going to drive (eeek!) which will be interesting as Mick isn't a big fan of the drive & Jack HATES his car seat. Shergar and I have done the 12-hour drive many times before and aren't bothered by it so we will try to impart that attitude to our traveling companions.

Jack, Shergar, and I will stay in Michigan after Thanksgiving so we have company while Mick is away. We'll return via car (just me & Jack... that's the trip I'm nervous about!) in mid-December, just in time to pack for England as we're leaving on Dec. 21.

It's so hard to believe that just a year ago Mick and I were in Australia together, still in a bit of shock that we were newly expecting. That trip to Sydney and to the Great Barrier Reef will forever seem to me like our last travel hurrah before becoming parents. Now, travel and vacations have a whole new meaning (and require a LOT more preparation & list making!).

We'll keep everyone posted about our holiday travels. Knowing us, I am sure there will be some good stories...

1 comment:

Grammy 'n Papa Klimek said...

I didn't realize how big Jack got until I saw your newest photos. The one with Mick holding Jack on the sofa was almost devastating! I feel like I missed six months of his life. Is he really that long? My fav is of him in the white halloween tee; looks like he's one solid boy! We look forward to seeing all of you next week!