Thursday, December 11, 2008

Heading Home

Friday afternoon now and I’m sat in the Air New Zealand lounge in Sydney airport awaiting my flight back to San Francisco. It’s been a great week—have spent a lot of time with my colleagues creating plans for 2009 and solving some of the challenges we’ve faced in 2008. Some of the things that have stood out include:

1. With the time difference, I’ve woken up around 5am each morning. Given the usual post-work dinner and drinks, the days have run long.
2. It’s very warm here. I went for a morning run on Monday and it took me an hour to cool down. I didn’t make that mistake again.
3. I saw the biggest spider ever this morning. From end to end, it was probably 2-3 inches in length. We stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Then, it blinked and disappeared.
4. Oddest sight of the week; a metal statue of Ned Kelly (check your history books) dressed in a Santa outfit and holding a rifle, out front of a house down the road. Merry christmas, everybody.
5. Unfortunately, I left my book on the Titanic disaster at the house I was staying at. I may never know what happened to the unsinkable ocean liner.

Have a quiet weekend planned, followed by preparations to fly to England next Sunday. Am excited to see family and for Jack to meet his great-grandparents.

No comments: