Sunday, December 28, 2008

Home, Sweet Home

We arrived back home today after a week in England. Jack did incredibly well on this trip and adjusted remarkably to sleeping in four different beds, managing a five-hour time difference, and meeting loads of relatives.

After spending last night in London -- where we enjoyed fish & chips, visited the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, and bought a Postman Pat book in Hamley's -- we were up at 4:00 am today (London time) to take the train to Heathrow for our 7:40 am flight. (Pictured: Jack at the airport, eating his passport.)

Jack was very tired (as were we!) and slept about 2 1/2 hours on the 7 1/2 hour flight home. Because we were the first flight of the day (getting into Dulles around 10:30 am), we sped right through immigration & customs and were in a cab home within about 15 minutes.

Our little guy looked so tired on the taxi ride home -- but he just wouldn't let those eyes close. He doesn't want to miss any action! He's been napping since 2:00 this afternoon and, although I'm tempted to wake him so we are okay for tonight, Mick has appealed to my senses and told me to let Jack sleep. The poor kid has been shuffled around so much, been such a trooper, and been so cheerful during the last three days when we've woken him up early that we really owe him a break.

I will post photos later from our trip as well as a bit more about what we did, who we saw, etc. It really was great to spend Jack's first Christmas with his relatives in Heptonstall/Littleborough/Chipping.

Before signing off, I also just want to commemorate Landon's birthday. If he were still with us, he would be turning two years old today. I spoke with my dad this afternoon and he mentioned that the family had gone to the cemetery and left some balloons on Landon's grave. Jack and I visited the cemetery before we came back to VA a few weeks ago and I mentioned to Sarah that being there made me very reflective. I realized that, had it not been for Landon, Deagan might not be here. That's not to say that I'm glad Landon's not here or that I'd rather Landon be here than Deagan. It's just a different way of thinking about things. So, happy birthday, Landon!

2 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

What an international traveler you are Little Man Jack!! You've got me beat already.