Friday, July 31, 2009

Guys & Dolls

A quick rant:

Why is it so hard to find a baby doll for a boy? I have a few things I'd like to get Jack for his birthday -- things that are important for him at this developmental stage (blocks, push toys, a puzzle or two). I'd also like to get him a doll. I want my son to learn that it's good to be affectionate and gentle and to be able to mimic some of Mick's and my caregiving.

But do you think I can find a doll anywhere that would be appropriate for Jack? Maybe a little baby boy doll (not something dressed in pink from head to toe)?

No.

I've looked at multiple stores: Target, Babies R Us, Toys R Us, Buy Buy Baby, and online of course. (My only criteria is that the doll be washable/can get wet; hence a Cabbage Patch Kid won't work. It does not have to be anatomically correct.) On Tuesday, I was at Buy Buy Baby and I asked if they had baby dolls for boys. The salesperson gave me a blank stare. Then she said "Oh, like an Elmo doll?" Um, no.

So I walked to the doll aisle. Pink overload. I thought, "maybe I can just get one of these and remove its clothes and put a diaper on and something tiny Jack wore as a newborn." But these dolls (I'm talking baby dolls, not Barbies) look like they have makeup (!) on. They have super rosey cheeks and dark, long eyelashes. Seriously.

I understand there may not be a major market for this, but you'd think that in this day & age there'd be more options available for little boys who may want to play with things other than trucks and balls. I always said I was going to try to raise my kids without gender biases. I want Jack to know that it's entirely appropriate (and expected) for Daddy to do the cooking (I'm a disaster in the kitchen & Mick's a great cook!) and to change diapers and that Mummy can handle the finances and car maintenance. But this doll thing looks like it's going to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be.

No comments: