Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Transitions

Today is July 29. One year ago today was my due date. Granted, Jack didn't arrive for another 15 days, but I remember what a special day July 29, 2008 was. It felt so momentous and I was just sure that our baby (remember, I didn't know if we were having a boy or girl!?!?) would know it was supposed to be born then. That day feels to me as if it were yesterday, as if I could just turn around and be right back there.

Alas, we are quickly approaching Jack's first birthday. This impending milestone feels bittersweet to me. Jack has become my favorite person with whom to hang out. Sometimes, when he sleeps, I miss him and can't wait until he wakes up so we can play again.

I am stunned by his growing capacity to mimic what we do (he chews when I show him my teeth going up and down, he brushes his hair when I am getting ready in the morning) and to take brave new risks (standing alone, crawling through the water at the community pool, climbing over any & everything he can, including Shergar). I want to hold onto this precious time forever, and to my little baby. Many people have pointed out how much he looks like a big boy now, not a baby anymore. My heart swells with pride when I hear that, but I shed a silent tear too. The time really does fly.

We've had some exciting transitions these past few days. We installed his big boy car seat on Sunday and had it inspected by the police tonight (installed correctly, phew!). He's adjusting well to it which is good because we have a loooong drive to Michigan next week.

Also, as of tonight, he has tried milk for the first time. He had 2 ounces before bed tonight and sucked it right down.

So time marches on...

1 comment:

Christine said...

He IS such a big boy now!! What a doll!