Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So Big!

Jack had his one-year well visit with the doctor today. Despite having four shots, two in each thigh, he seems to be in good spirits. I've heard though that the effects of the shots are often not felt until a few days after the injections, so we'll see. I did not do well during the shots, after being scolded by the nurse for not doing more to restrain him: "Mrs Collins, he's pulling at my needles!" and having her yank his leg back onto the table while muttering "my gosh is he strong." He cried big, fat tears (I swallowed my tears) but a cuddle with me after the band-aids went on and all was forgotten.

He's right where he should be developmentally and is sleeping right about the average for this age (11 hours at night, 2.5 hours during the day). In terms of size, he's around the 65th percentile for weight -- 23 lbs, 7 oz -- and is off the charts for height! The nurse actually measured his length twice because she was so sure she'd gotten in wrong the first time. But her measurements came out pretty similar: he's somewhere between 32 5/8" long and 32 7/8" long.

His walking is getting better every day - though he doesn't want anything to do with walking once I put his shoes on. I've heard that the walking often stops completely for a few days after the shots in the legs, so we'll see. I took this video yesterday (I never have the camera ready when he does one of his long stretches of walking) but it at least gives a sense that he can do more than 2 or 3 steps now.

No comments: