Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Wild, Wild, West


As the photo indicates, I woke up in Palm Springs, California today(no, this isnt a flimsy movie plot about how a trip to Vegas goes horribly wrong). I'm here to speak at a conference later this afternoon.

Drove the 2 hours from Los Angeles yesterday (the famed LA parking-lot traffic being relatively benign) through small towns and over mountain passes, before arriving in Palm Springs, a retirement playground for former Hollywood bright lights. I can sum up my thoughts on this town in just 1 question..."why is it here?" There seems no rhyme or reason for placing an oasis of greenery (lots and lots of golf courses) in the middle of a desert.

Reading about the history of Palm Springs, I came across this largely unverifiable claim about the town: "On any given day during the winter season, over 100 nationally known figures can be seen around the desert."

Had dinner at a local sushi/Tex-mex/pasta restaurant - the sushi was pretty good and the Tex-mex...well, it tasted like Tex-mex.

After the conference today, I am driving back to LAX for a flight to DC this evening.

No comments: