Thursday, November 19, 2009

Surprise Visit

Today, around 1:00, my little (well, not so little... just younger) brother, Trevor called. He wanted to know if I was around for a visit. He and his buddy were in Royal Oak, just about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. A short while later, Trev and his friend were sitting at our kitchen table, having a cup of tea and some cookies with Jack and me while we shared funny stories. Mick was even able to stop by (from his upstairs office) for a ten-minute visit. I just keep thinking about how fantastic it was that Trevor just called and said "hey, are you around? I am thinking of stopping by for a quick visit." I mean, that's pretty cool.

Now almost three weeks in to the move, I am starting to feel a bit "homesick." Mick brought me a gift from his layover in DC on Tuesday: a copy of the Washington Post. That made me smile. This week in particular though, I really miss the DC friends who became first-time moms at the same time I did. There's just something about that bond that I won't be able to replace with new friends here. And a bit of that makes me really long for home... my old home.

But there are so many wonderful things about living here, my really old home (Michigan): a U of M football game on a beautiful fall day, an evening with my cousin Emily and a bunch of her friends, a lazy Saturday spent visiting with Andrea, Tim, and Luke, and Trevor's completely surprise visit. All of those things make me feel as if I'm home again.

3 comments:

Chudd Family said...

Miss you!!

Mclean Furgang said...

Hey Kelly,

feel free to drop in for a surprise visit at our house any day ! :))
We miss you !

Sabine and the Mclean Furgang

Mclean Furgang said...

Almost forgot: Greetings from the Powhatan Gang as well. :)) They miss seeing you, Jack and Shergar too.