Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bob the Barber


This past weekend, Mick and I took Jack for his second professional haircut. The first dozen or Jack needed to see someone who could do more than just cut in a circle.

The first cut Jack had at this barber (which is right on the University of Michigan campus and directly next door to my all-time favorite ice cream shop, Stucchi's) was back in January. The barber was fantastic and even pointed out to me a lump on the back of Jack's neck that he strongly encouraged us to get examined by a doctor. (We did: it's just a swollen lymph node.) He played with Jack when we arrived and did a great job with Jack once he was sitting in the barber chair (a little red car). What I love about this place is that the barber is so good with kids yet it's a true barber shop and not one of those gimmicky kid places where they charge you twice as much just to sit your kid in front of some cartoons while they cut hair. I mean, a cut still sets us back $20 (parents of bald kids, rejoice!) but if it's a good cut, it's worth it.

Unfortunately, this time the cut hasn't turned out as nicely as it did back in January. You can't tell from the pictures I took with my phone, but the front is very uneven and the back is really choppy. Jack didn't wriggle around much so I'm not sure what happened with this cut. It's a good thing his hair grows back so quickly.

Here he is from his better side where the front isn't quite as short (sorry about the resolution - taken with my iPhone):
Once the haircut was over, we went to one of my favorite bagel places that I haven't been to in over ten years. It was so weird to be back. I literally had butterflies in my stomach as I passed Michigan Book & Supply as I instantly felt as if I were back in school and had to buy textbooks again. (Not sure if the anxiety I felt had to do with the idea of being in school again or of dropping $500 every semester on textbooks that would later sell for about $20.)

Jack enjoyed a cinnamon raisin bagel while he sat - by himself - in a "big boy chair" and watched out the window for campus buses.
I'm sure one of these days it won't seem quite as weird to be back on campus with my toddler, but for now it just feels strange.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He looks so grown up...a big boy now....so cute