Thursday, November 10, 2011

Being Thankful

Jack was stalling tonight at bedtime and, after Mick had already told him a story, he asked me for one. I said no, but acquiesced that I would explain to him the meaning of Thanksgiving. (Always good to provide a teaching moment, especially when he doesn't know that's what it is.)

I struggled a bit with explaining exactly what was going on with the Pilgrims and the Native Americans. I basically said that some people from England got on a few boats and came to this country and discovered that only the Native Americans lived here; then the Pilgrims asked the Native Americans if they would share their country. I know that's not exactly how it went down, but I figured I could use this as a learning opportunity and reinforce the importance of sharing -- while leaving out all the nasty parts about how the Pilgrims and their buddies then ended up pretty much taking over the country and not treating the Native Americans in a particularly friendly way.

Then I got to the easy part where I told him all about how they had a wonderful feast together and we discussed all the different foods that were eaten (leaving out things that would give him nightmares - like deer/venison). He seems particularly excited about having turkey and pie.

After the story of Thanksgiving, I suggested that we name a few things that we are thankful for and I explained what "thankful" means. He asked that I go first so I said I was thankful for Jack and Kate and for their health. It was his turn next but he asked me to go again. So I said I was thankful for Daddy for being so good to us. Then his eyes lit up and he said he understood. So here, in order, are three things Jack is thankful for:

1. His "big, warm, cozy bed."
2. Being able to snuggle up with Hip-Hip (his stuffed elephant).
3. That Kate is such a "happy baby".

Pretty impressive list - the one about Kate really got me. I love when he is such a sweet boy.

No comments: