Friday, November 4, 2011

Halloween 2011

This year for Halloween, Jack told me (starting back in July) that he wanted to be a horse. Hmmm.... a horse costume?!?! One friend told me he thought that was a great idea as Kate could be Jack's jockey. Funny concept but how in the world to manage a horse costume? First I looked online and found only one style of horse costume I could purchase and, frankly, it looked absurd. I'd love to fancy myself the kind of mom who can fashion a great kid's costume out of some felt, twine, a big cardboard box, and some craft paint, but alas that's just not my strong suit. I kept hoping that, being a child, Jack would be fickle with his idea and change it multiple times by late October, but of course he didn't. Lucky for me, our neighbor just happened to receive a horse costume from a friend that her daughter (thank you, Catherine!) didn't want to wear for Halloween. I was able to convince Jack that this horse could be worn over his clothes and it would look as if he were riding a horse. Luckily, Jack went for it! So, he was a "boy riding a horse" for Halloween (NOT, as he repeatedly reminded me, a cowboy as "there is no cow.").

Kate fit nicely in another borrowed costume (thank you, Kirsti!) and went as Piglet. Jack thought this was the perfect costume for her, as he calls her a little "piggy wiggy" when she eats. I liked the costume because, aside from being cute, it was big enough to accommodate some very warm clothes underneath (always a must for Halloween costumes in Michigan).

We were very lucky to get to spend Halloween again with Mick's mum who visited from England. I still don't think she's really embraced the Halloween idea, but she's getting better at getting in the spirit! This year she accompanied us to the museum of natural history's Halloween bash, the downtown library's Halloween story time, trick-or-treating downtown, and then handed out candy Halloween night while Mick and I took the kids trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.

Kate didn't last too long (it was a bit chilly out) so she ended up staying home with Grannie for much of the trick-or-treating but Jack did lots of walking and very bravely went up to about 95% of the houses by himself. I was a bit worried, especially as it got dark, that he was going to trip over his horse's legs when maneuvering up and down porch steps but every time I offered my hand to help guide him, I was met with "I am FINE, I can do it myself." Yep, that's my boy.


Jack already knows what he wants to be next year: a witch. When I asked him what a witch would wear, he thought about it for a minute and then said "a pointy hat, a coat, stripey socks, and black boots." That's a costume I can manage!

2 comments:

Kirsti said...

lol Emma wants to be a witch as well ;)

Christine said...

The horse costume is TOO adorable!!!!