Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A New York State of Mind


I wanted to include my own post about our New York weekend (photos here) because it was one of the best weekends Mick & I have had together in a long time (probably since we did our snorkel trip on the Great Barrier Reef in the fall). It made saying good-bye to Mick yesterday morning very hard for me (even though he'll be home on Thursday) because we we just had such a great time together. It reinforced for me the importance of taking time to be alone together even once the baby is born.

Saturday in the city was wonderful. We had lunch at a Greek restaurant (I am a big fan of Greek food!), watched a bit of the European Championships (soccer) with the Netherlands losing to Russia, and then I set off for my prenatal massage. My masseuse was shocked (horrified?) when I said I hadn't had a massage in over a year. She extolled the virtues of massage to me -- which I know about -- and I kind of wanted to say "yes, but do you know how expensive these things are???" I was giddy with delight when she showed me the massage table: it had a hole cut out for my big belly, meaning I got to lay face-down for the first time in months! I told her that I'd never been a stomach-sleeper before but that for some reason, since I'd gotten pregnant, that was the ONLY way I've been wanting to sleep. She let me remain face-down for the entire hour while she worked on my back, shoulders, and feet. It was blissful.

As Mick mentioned, we then had an incredible (I wish I could think of a more descriptive word) dinner at Fleur de Sel. The service was impeccable and the food scored high on all fronts: creativity, taste, and presentation. I am so glad we did the tasting menu (and that Mick added the wine pairing to his!). I think this meal rates up there with Equinox and Citronelle in DC. The only slight bummer course was the cheese course. In a twist, this French restaurant serves American cheeses for its cheese tasting. I thought that was going to be a boon for me because I figured all of the cheese would be pasteurized (given the U.S.'s standards for food safety). However, only one of the four cheeses was pasteurized, so they brought me a second cheese plate that had four slices of the same kind of cheese. This was good for Mick because then he got to eat some of the cheese I hadn't touched, but I was a bit bummed that I had to leave the soft brie-like cheese & the blue cheese alone. In all though, this meal was divine and a real treat for us!

Sunday morning was incredible as well; certainly the best Sunday morning I have had in years. We slept in (until 8:50) and then Mick went out to the market next door and bought some OJ and a pain au chocolat (yum!!!) along with the Sunday edition of the NY Times. We had breakfast in bed and read the Times until Meet the Press came on at 10:30. It was divine! We finally set off around 12:30 toward Greenwich Village where I did TONS of walking (I was pretty proud of myself as I was able to make my way slowly around the city blocks without any foot or back pain). My reward was a very creamy cup of ice cream. Does it get much better?

We had a great time at Josh & Jamie's wedding Sunday night, despite the fattest rain drops I have ever seen pelting us during the entire outdoor ceremony. Jamie handled it beautifully though -- she pretty much just laughed (as did most of the guests throughout the ceremony) until she was able to scoot inside. She looked beautiful and Josh looked so proud. They both beamed the entire night.

As for Mick & I, we had a good time catching up with friends and dancing the night away. I've honestly never seen Mick want to dance to so many songs. I felt a little bad because I didn't have my usually energy for dancing (even dancing to slow songs was hard) but I threw that out the window for the final song of the evening: 99 Red Balloons. Almost all of the guests were on the dance floor for this one and we just danced like crazy, jumping up and down, singing along -- it was pretty funny. All I could think the whole time was "I am just asking to go into labor right now" because my jumping was so vigorous. But luckily the baby decided to stay inside for a while longer. I paid for all of this wild activity on Monday morning when I almost fell over upon setting my sore footsies on the floor. Yesterday I was VERY tired but boy was it worth it!

No comments: