Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mission Accompished

Just a quick post this morning to let everyone know that Jack and I successfully made it from DC to Grand Rapids on Sunday night. I was a bit nervous about flying without Mick when I had a 7-week old baby with me, but we did just fine. I did a good job of packing: just one suitcase between the two of us and one carry-on (diaper bag that served as a purse as well) so I wouldn't need to struggle with these extra items. As it was, I needed to make it through security with a car seat, stroller, and baby carrier (the Jack Pack). That's the part I was really nervous about as I didn't know how I was going to manage collapsing everything and sending it through the x-ray machine while holding Jack. But thankfully most of the airline & security people were helpful and the Jack Pack was extremely useful.

My mom's knee surgery on Monday went well. The doctor told us she was "past due" for a total knee replacement as her knee was bone-on-bone; he said the x-rays didn't tell half the story. When we left her on Mon. night she seemed okay - she was drugged up on narcotics and kind of out of it but generally she was fine. We got a scary call yesterday morning from the hospital telling us my mom was having trouble breathing, was on oxygen, and that they were worried that her lungs were collapsing. Long story short: they did a CT scan yesterday to check for any possible blood clot/embolism. The report on the scan wasn't back by the time we left around 7:30 last night, so that suggests that no clot was spotted. The nurses suspect my mom might have a touch of pneumonia but we'll know more today.

I felt good about leaving the hospital last night. My mom was sitting in bed and had had her first real food since Sunday (which made her SO happy!). Her oxygen levels were getting a bit better, partly due to a lot of encouragement from Andy that she take deep breaths. She was surrounded by her entire family (though Mick was missing, which she lamented). I truly think that having her three grandsons there was the best medicine she could have had!

OK, off to hospital again. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your keeping my mom in your thoughts.

No comments: