Thursday, October 22, 2009

Discovery

How is it that, after driving past this place hundreds of times in the last four years did it not occur to me, until today (one week before moving), to take Jack here? It's just a half mile away and I went many times in the past to watch Mick coach his kids' soccer team, yet I somehow never realized Jack would enjoy it.

On a walk this afternoon though, I decided to stop so he could watch. He was captivated! I only had my phone with me (no camera) so the pictures aren't fantastic, but you get the gist. (I loved that there was a girl at the skate park; we watched her for a long time!)

There was also a really cool children's rain garden that apparently is only working during the summer. This doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, it's a rain garden so shouldn't it work after every rain? Although it was bone dry today, I saw an old-fashioned pump and figured if I could use the lever to generate enough pressure, groundwater would eventually spill out of the pump and make its way down the water troughs. Of course, the pump was really squeaky and so I generated a lot of quizzical stares. Eventually one of the employees came over and told me the pump didn't work (?) and that he thinks "they turned it off for the season (?). I thanked him for informing me as I could have easily seen myself pumping away for another 20 minutes ("there's got to be water in her somewhere!") before giving up. Oh well, it would have been cool...

No comments: