Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dream Home

Buying a house/moving is one of life's major stressful events. I know this firsthand. After we put the offer in on our new house, I spent about two weeks tossing and turning, unable to get a good night's sleep. And my left eye keeps flaring up a bright red color, a stress sign that I seem to have inherited from my dad.

I'd been feeling pretty lucky though that I hadn't been having wacky dreams about the new house. It's not uncommon for me to remember extremely detailed dreams I have in the middle of the night and then to be able to recount them, bit-by-bit, upon waking.

Just two days away from closing on our house, I guess my subconscious got the best of me last night as it threw me a bizarre dream. In it, Mick and I showed up late to the walk-through of the house (which we're doing right before closing). The reason we were late is because our agent was trying to switch from her spring purse to her fall purse, but she couldn't find the fall one anywhere.

When we got to the house, the seller's agent was there... and he had MOVED IN! There was furniture everywhere, most of which was in bad shape. And the things that were staying with the house - kitchen cabinets, walls, etc. - were beaten up pretty badly. Wood was splitting, plaster and paint were peeling off the walls, floors were scuffed, and carpets were stained. Oh, and there was a half-eaten casserole dish of ziti on the kitchen counter; the agent claimed he hadn't had time to put last night's dinner away.

I immediately went crazy. I was screaming at the guy, asking what he was thinking to have moved in to a house he didn't own. I told our agent there was no way we were going to closing with the house in this condition. I mean, it looked as bad as some of the foreclosures we saw and did not at all resemble the house that Mick and I loved back in August. As is typical of our relationship, Mick was the calm one in the dream, saying he was sure we'd get it all sorted out. He really didn't want to let go of that house, regardless of its condition.

I kept looking at the clock trying to figure out where my dad was (he's planning to come down to wrangle Jack for us while we do the closing at the bank) as it was past time for him to arrive. I figured he'd know how to deal with the situation... he has bought and sold enough houses to have contended with weird situations, right? Eventually, I saw him rounding the corner but he had brought my entire family with him. I again got upset, saying I just needed him to come in to help but before I knew it my brothers were piling out of the car with more food and some tables which they proceeded to set up inside the house. When I reentered the house, again attempting to talk Mick out of going through with the closing, there was an actual feast in the center of the house. I don't recall recognizing many of the people who were there but it was probably about 40 people or so! Still, I was the only one who was upset about the situation. Everyone else was talking, eating, laughing, etc.

I woke up not long after the feast. The sense of relief that washed over me when I realized it was just a dream was tremendous! I'm sure there are all sorts of meanings that can be found in this dream, but I'm just going to take away the lesson of remaining calm and taking Mick's "everything will work out" lead.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Finally got caught up on everyone's blogs, I so need more free time in my life, working on that, will tell you more this weekend, can't wait to see you.

But wanted to add that I have crazy weird dreams when I'm anxious about things and your house dream was hilarious, all it needed was a giant spill of red sauce on the white carpet!!