Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Big Day

This morning, Mick and I are headed to downtown Detroit for Mick's 8:30 appointment to take his U.S. Citizenship exam. He will be asked 10 questions out of a pool of a possible 100 and must answer 6 of those 10 correctly. He will also have to demonstrate that he is capable of speaking & writing English.

I have quizzed Mick on these questions about a half dozen times over the past few days and I have no doubt he'll pass with flying colors. The fact that Mick focused his undergrad studies on American Politics and his graduate studies on the American Presidency certainly doesn't hurt things. I can say (a bit sheepishly) that Mick knew the answers to questions that stumped me, despite me having about eight or nine years of formal civics/history education.

I can't sufficiently express what this day means to us, though I can tell you it feels as if it has taken forever to get here. We have been through years of paperwork, sent in a hefty amount of fees, and Mick has provided countless samples of his fingerprints and biometric scans. He has been incredibly patient and thorough.

Once he is granted citizenship, Mick will finally be able to exercise his right to vote; I'll simply be relieved when Mick is able to share the same citizenship status as Jack and I.

It's unlikely we'll find out the actual results of the exam today, but I feel pretty confident that we'll know by the time Mick is done whether he passed the test with at least 60% proficiency.

We'll post again later today.

No comments: