Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses"

Two out of three probably describe me. Well, after a rather long interview (in which we debated the term "lawful nonimmigrant" and reviewed my tax returns, overseas travel, and work history), I passed the test.

I correctly answered all 6 questions I was given:

1. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
2. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
3. For how many years are senators elected?
4. If both the President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What does the President's cabinet do?
6. Name one branch of the federal government

At that juncture, I had the requisite 6 questions completed and there was no need for the officer to ask the remaining 4. However, I almost had the nerve to say "Ask them anyway...let's see if I can get 10 out of 10".

So what does this all mean?:

1. While continuing to assert a level of innate superiority (based on frequent rolling of the eyes), it will no longer be solely justified by the fact I am English. Instead, it will also take into account my new country's capitalist economic model that works extremely well (unless government bailouts are required).
2. I am now the official Anglo-American translator for Her Majesty the Queen. I will advise her on the meaning of such confusing phrases as “would you like your eggs sunny-side up?” or “how’s it going?”
3. I get to vote in this year’s elections. I expect every Michigan candidate to call on me personally, sharing their elevator pitch, points of differentiation, and how they can buy my vote.

The oath of allegience is next Thursday, at which point I will receive my naturalization (a word spelled incorrectly on the official INS swearing-in ceremony documents, FYI) papers.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Great news!
Still not getting emails when you update...I'm giving up, but like the reminders from you!

MSakalauskas said...

Congratulations, Mick!

Ginny Hiltz said...

Congratulations, Mick! It seems like just yesterday that your first green card renewal came through! :) I love reading your blog and hearing all about the Collins family adventures. Miss you guys!