Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Everyone's Nicer When You're Pregnant

Once I started really showing, I noticed a difference in how people related to me. The parking garage attendants where I park for work every morning started parking my car in an end spot, easily accessible if I needed to leave early; they usually have it waiting for me at the end of the day so I don't have to stand and wait 5 minutes for them to go get it. The security guards in my office building always smile & say "good morning" now and ask how I'm feeling. People hold the elevator doors for me rather than pretending they don't see me coming (be honest, we've all done it!).

However, the biggest surprise I've had has been the reaction I've received from various homeless people who are stationed on street corners around the city, asking if passers-by can "spare some change." A week or so before Mother's Day, instead of being asked for money, I was told "Congratulations on that baby - you take care of yourself now!" and "Happy Mother's Day." I've noticed that people walking on the street all around me are still asked for money. But I'm given child-rearing tips ("Don't let that child give you no attitude") or have been encouraged to take it easy ("Girl, you need to get yourself a glass of water and get out of this sun!").

It really hit home for me a few days ago when I came out of CVS. The guy who is normally stationed there, collecting people's spare change, was there as usual. He started to ask me for some money and then he looked at my belly, abruptly stopped mid-sentence and instead said "Oh, never mind. You're going to need all the money you can get when this child is born!" I couldn't help but laugh.

No comments: